Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fruit fly whose larvae can be a serious pest of citrus and other fruits. Native to the Mediterranean region, it has spread to other regions including the US.Also called medfly
- ‘To fight outbreaks of the Mediterranean fruit fly, or medfly, states like California and Florida rely on shipments of millions of sexually sterile medflies reared in laboratories.’
- ‘One of the most notorious agricultural pests is the Mediterranean fruit fly, Ceratitis capitata.’
- ‘The Mediterranean fruit fly Ceratitis capitata is a major pest of many important agricultural products.’
- ‘The Mediterranean fruit fly, commonly called the medfly, is one of the world's most destructive agricultural pests.’
- ‘In 1996 we detected Mediterranean fruit flies in one of our traps.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.