One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A name given to several plants that bloom in May, especially certain hepaticas and anemones and the trailing arbutus.
- ‘Mint, lemon balm, pennyroyal, chives, chamomile, mayflower, and summer savory are a few herbs perfectly suited to this microclimate.’
- ‘On May Day we picked a May Queen and carried her around the school on a throne decorated with yellow mayflowers.’
- ‘Despite a gloomy weather forecast, the sun shone, and the very long, winding, narrow lanes festooned with mayflower like bridal veils were negotiated without meeting any traffic coming the other way.’
- ‘In the damp fields surrounding the streams I found cowslip, self heal and mayflower.’
- ‘Yet another old name for the mayflower was bog flower and this is a very accurate description but mayflower is still the most accurate and I will therefore stick to this name.’
The ship in which the Pilgrims sailed from England to America in 1620.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.