Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large family of American Indian languages spoken in Central America and Mexico, of which the chief members are Maya and Quiché.
- ‘When Monteczuma's envoys came to Tabasco to find out information about Cortes, they spoke only Nahuatl while Cortes's Spanish translator spoke only Mayan.’
- ‘The movie will definitely be performed in Mayan, an ancient pre-Colombian language.’
- ‘With songs in Spanish, English, Mayan, and Zapotec, it reflects the babel of voices that is our ever-expanding border region.’
- ‘Apart from Mayan and Epi-Olmec, the language groups of most of the Americas are not dealt with.’
- ‘There was a fireplace to her left that had a few trinkets from a Mayan expedition on the mantle: a clay doll, a small clay tablet carved in Mayan, and a stone jaguar.’
- ‘At first I thought it might be Mayan or another Latin-American indigenous language since these language groups are increasing in the area.’
1Relating to the Mayan family of languages.
- ‘At the time it wasn't clear which of the many Mayan languages this might refer to, but now the situation has been clarified - sort of - by Gibson himself.’
- ‘Wall paintings and mummified owl remains of have been discovered in ancient Egyptian tombs, and the owl motif was used in Egyptian as well as Mayan hieroglyphics.’
- ‘We are Mayan people; we speak twenty-two different Mayan languages.’
- ‘But this word still lives on, in many of the Mayan languages, not least for the games that children play with grass balls.’
- ‘Language issues can be intimately linked with assimilation, as children sometimes reject both their Mayan language and customs.’
- ‘The meaning, the authors report, as with all Mayan writing, is difficult to decipher.’
- ‘They looked more like Aztec or Mayan symbols, but in a Romanized kind of style.’
- ‘Approximately one-third of the indigenous population speaks only a Mayan language.’
2Relating to the Maya people.
- ‘The great Mayan cities were all built around cenote and the Maya regarded them as sacred.’
- ‘Other ancient and sophisticated calendars are the Athenian, the Egyptian, the Incan, the Aztec and the Mayan.’
- ‘Gonzalez said the skeleton did not appear to be Mayan, but with no tools yet found, almost nothing is known of those first inhabitants.’
- ‘Fiestas are the major form of public worship and sometimes conform to the 260-day Mayan religious calendar.’
- ‘Maya Gold is produced using cocoa grown by Mayan farmers in Toledo, an impoverished jungle region of southern Belize.’
- ‘Now this relic may have been the Mayan ruin it was purported to be.’
- ‘Breaking up their beach vacation for a day, they visited some Mayan ruins nearby.’
- ‘Virtually all of those killed were Mayan, who represent 82 percent of the local population.’
- ‘The country's religions are Roman Catholic, Protestant, and traditional Mayan.’
- ‘It has beautiful countryside, with lakes and mountains, and a fascinating culture, both Mayan and colonial.’
- ‘I remembered the Mayan naming system was based on a series of numeral days, as well as a repeating cycle of constellations.’
- ‘Profits from any commercialization of products from the project were to be split four ways, with a quarter going to participating Mayan communities.’
- ‘The Spanish seized Mayan lands and enslaved their populations, sending many to labor in the mines of northern Mexico.’
- ‘Africa had its mini-empire in Ghana; Central America had its Mayan civilization.’
- ‘His work was further influenced by extensive travel and by Mayan, Chinese, Japanese, and Islamic traditions as well as his own Scandinavian roots.’
- ‘Further, the program had gained acceptance from dozens of Mayan communities.’
- ‘Most of the indigenous groups are Mayan, although small numbers of Pipil Aztecs live in the southern and eastern areas and Xincas in the east.’
- ‘The owl motif was used in Egyptian as well as Mayan hieroglyphics.’
- ‘Frida Kahlo dramatized this feeling of being divided between cultures: the European and the Mexican Mayan.’
- ‘At the site today, all spheres of Mayan and Tolteca society are on display: administrative, religious and recreational.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.