One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Ndebele people collectively, particularly those of Zimbabwe.
- ‘The Matabeles are an off-shoot of the once mighty Zulus who conquered most of southern Africa in the early 19th Century.’
- ‘There is no love lost between the Matabele and the other major tribe.’
- ‘The southern section of Rhodesia was home to the Zulu-descended Matabeles, while the north was home to their traditional enemies, the Mashona.’
- ‘Today it is the Matabele in Zimbabwe who are particularly suffering.’
- ‘In 1888 he was instrumental in gaining British authority over Matabeleland and Mashonaland through the Moffat Treaty with the Matabele.’
From Sotho matebele, singular letebele, the name given to this people.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.