Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of hardboard.
- ‘Find a board onto which to glue the puzzle, such as Masonite or hardboard.’
- ‘The size should not be larger than 6 inches in height or it will be too large when projected onto the Masonite panel.’
- ‘In fact, the paint will flow on them better than on the Masonite itself.’
- ‘We are looking at buying a house that has Masonite on the exterior.’
- ‘The fresco is mounted onto a customized Masonite backing for reinforcement.’
1920s: from the name of the Mason Fibre Co., Laurel, Mississippi, + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.