Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A region of east central Italy, between the Apennines and the Adriatic Sea; capital, Ancona. Italian name Le Marche.
- ‘Fabrizio returns with the red wine: 2002 Stefano Mancinelli Lacrima di Morra d'Alba a bright fruity, fresh wine from le Marche.’
- ‘Vincisgrassi is a rich, wonderfully elaborate lasagne from the Marche region in Italy, which is to the east of Tuscany.’
- ‘Lotto, although born in Venice and active in the Marche, is included because of his work in Bergamo.’
- ‘My concerns are mostly for that last little region of Central Italy - Le Marche, where I live.’
- ‘So over the next few weeks, expect at least three entree recipes, one dessert recipe, and then one post about Le Marche wine.’
- ‘The theatre is definitely worth seeing - an eloborate place with layers of balconies all painted in tromp l'oeil style, one of many beautiful theatres in Le Marche.’
- ‘The plants are grown in Macerata and Iesi, in the Italian province of Le Marche.’
- ‘After the Umbria and Marche earthquakes in Italy in 1997 there was a sequence of eight events higher than magnitude five in the following two months.’
- ‘The Marche is an extremely beautiful region on the Adriatic Sea with Romagna to the north and Abruzzo to the south.’
- ‘This group is re-investing in the local community to keep the Montefeltro a thriving area of the province of the Marche in Italy.’
- ‘Revolts spread also to Lazio, Umbria, and the Marche.’
- ‘Monte Sibillini National Park: Whether it is summer or winter the mountains of Le Marche have something to offer to the hiker and lovers of winter sports alike.’
- ‘To further secure his hold on La Marche, Hugh le Brun, Lord of Lusignan arranged a marriage between himself and Isabella, the daughter of Count Aymer of Angoulême.’
- ‘Perhaps it is the lack of big cities which has left Marche off the more traditional list of Italian destinations.’
- ‘Because of its depth, the tremor was felt over a wide area, notably in the Marche region further south on the Adriatic coast.’
- ‘Like so many forgotten Italian wine regions, however, the Marche is making a strong comeback, with many small producers emerging to make some excellent wines, both red and white.’
- ‘The Marche has been ignored by generations of wine lovers as a region that only produces a simple white wine, in a fish-shaped bottled, called Verdicchio.’
- ‘He's moved from Marche to the wilds of Moscow and then to Marbella (Spain), to the great monarch (that is Britain).’
- ‘Sangiovese in Marche can be thin and sharp, but in blends dominated by the powerful montepulciano the tart Marche sangiovese brings a refreshing liveliness.’
- ‘The Marche Region is bordered by the Umbria, Emilia Romagna, Abruzzo and Lazio regions of Italy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.