One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large continuous extent of land that includes the greater part of a country or territory, as opposed to offshore islands and detached territories.
- ‘Chiang had been forced to abandon the mainland and retreat to the island of Taiwan in 1949.’
- ‘And then the same salmon may return to the islands after processing on the mainland.’
- ‘Subsoils on the mainland tend to be limestone, while on the islands they are mainly volcanic.’
- ‘The bridge basically connects the island of Seil to the mainland and the Atlantic flows all around.’
- ‘The geological fault lines underlying the eruptions stretch to the Italian mainland.’
- ‘For the same reasons sanctuaries were sited at the tip of capes or peninsulas or on an island close to the mainland.’
- ‘In the 1950s bridges began to be built from the mainland to the outlying sea islands.’
- ‘Although it is close to the mainland, it used to be cut off for weeks at a time during stormy weather.’
- ‘Thirty of the islands are connected to the mainland by a series of bridges and an overseas highway.’
- ‘It seemed the wind was so strong the island would be blown crashing into the shores of the mainland.’
- ‘A decade ago, private art collectors on the mainland were virtually unheard of.’
- ‘Ironically, it was these ports on the Spanish mainland that needed reform if Spain was to benefit.’
- ‘This was a deeply formative experience, dividing the fate of the island from the mainland.’
- ‘The island, which was once attached to the mainland, is reached by a short ferry ride.’
- ‘The impossibly pretty town is mostly on an island on Lake Constance but spills over onto the mainland.’
- ‘Taiwanese law requires any local chip company investing in a venture on the mainland to declare the fact.’
- ‘It concerns a small community who hear that a film production is to take place on the mainland.’
- ‘Today we tend to see islands as backward places in comparison to the mainland.’
- ‘The painted storks from Siberia and Algeria fly across the seas and mainlands for about 6,000 km to reach Veerapuram.’
- ‘Skye is undeniably spectacular, but the island is now connected to the mainland by a bridge.’
1The largest island in the Orkney Islands.
2The largest island in the Shetland Islands.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.