Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A great Hindu sage or spiritual leader.
wise man, wise woman, learned man, learned woman, man of letters, woman of letters, philosopher, scholar, thinker, savant, solomon, nestor, solonView synonyms
- ‘He has read the Hindu mystics extensively, and delightedly recounts anecdotes about a southern Maharishi, Ramana, whose life has influenced him.’
- ‘The Maharishi talks less about what happens during meditation than its effects on everyday life.’
- ‘The Maharishi summoned us to a room full of flowers and colour where he talked about life's journey, reincarnation and release from pain.’
- ‘But Maharishi has come up with a formula for world peace, which he believes can be achieved with large groups of meditators.’
- ‘Many people would agree with the Maharishi's political analysis, but they might have some issues with some of the more esoteric aspects of his teachings.’
Alteration of Sanskrit maharṣi, from mahā great + ṛṣi rishi.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.