Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A title used before a person's surname or full name by those who wish to avoid specifying their gender or by those who prefer not to identify themselves as male or female.‘the bank is planning to introduce the honorific “Mx” as an alternative for anyone who feels that they don’t, for reasons of undetermined gender, fit into being either a Mr., Mrs., Miss or a Ms’
- ‘Recent moves in Brighton, for instance, to allow the use of Mx as a title, have detractors as well as supporters within the trans community’
- ‘The review might also see the introduction of the ' Mx ' title, as an optional alternative to Mr and Mrs for customers who don't want to be forced to choose a gender.’
- ‘To me, Mx Bond embodies the very best kind of girl a boy could ever grow up to become.’
- ‘Calling us Mx rather than Mr or Ms was the bank's response.’
- ‘The term Mx is widely accepted by government and other organisations throughout the UK, so it's right that we update the Society's registration processes to make sure that this option is available.’
- ‘Campaigners say that 'Mx', short for 'Mixter', is a gender neutral alternative to Mr, Mrs, Ms and Miss.’
- ‘Brighton & Hove council adopted the trans-friendly Mx title in 2013, after an inclusivity panel made the recommendation.’
- ‘Recognition of the gender neutral title Mx is in response to a request from the Scottish society's membership.’
- ‘A council is to include the title 'Mx' on its official forms to be more accommodating to the trans-community.’
1970s: apparently from M (as in Mr, Mrs, Ms, etc.) + X (probably denoting an unknown or variable factor or quantity).
Missile experimental (a US intercontinental ten-warhead ballistic missile)
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.