Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An inflammatory disease characterized at first by a rash, headache, fever, and chills, and later by possible arthritis and neurological and cardiac disorders, caused by bacteria that are transmitted by ticks.
- ‘It is often idiopathic in origin, but may be associated with multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, syphilis, Lyme disease, and ocular lymphoma.’
- ‘Some ticks transmit bacteria that cause illnesses such as Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever.’
- ‘Intermediate uveitis may be idiopathic or associated with multiple sclerosis, syphilis, Lyme disease or ocular lymphoma.’
- ‘Mosquitoes can carry the malaria parasite or West Nile virus, and deer ticks may carry the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.’
- ‘The bacteria that cause Lyme disease are carried by deer ticks and western blacklegged ticks.’
- ‘Other causes include Lyme disease, HIV, alcoholism, B12 deficiency, or diabetes.’
- ‘Serum studies for echovirus, Coxsackie-virus, Lyme disease, and HIV were all negative.’
- ‘If a person develops the arthritis of late-stage Lyme disease, the symptoms are usually treated with oral antibiotics.’
- ‘Meningitis can also be a feature of other diseases, including Lyme disease, Leptospirosis, Typhus, Tuberculosis and other infections.’
- ‘The bacteria that cause relapsing fever are related to those bacteria that cause Lyme disease.’
1970s: named after Lyme, Connecticut, where an outbreak occurred.
Lyme disease/ˈlīm diˌzēz/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.