One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An inflammatory disease characterized at first by a rash, headache, fever, and chills, and later by possible arthritis and neurological and cardiac disorders, caused by bacteria that are transmitted by ticks.
- ‘Mosquitoes can carry the malaria parasite or West Nile virus, and deer ticks may carry the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.’
- ‘Serum studies for echovirus, Coxsackie-virus, Lyme disease, and HIV were all negative.’
- ‘Intermediate uveitis may be idiopathic or associated with multiple sclerosis, syphilis, Lyme disease or ocular lymphoma.’
- ‘The bacteria that cause Lyme disease are carried by deer ticks and western blacklegged ticks.’
- ‘It is often idiopathic in origin, but may be associated with multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, syphilis, Lyme disease, and ocular lymphoma.’
- ‘The bacteria that cause relapsing fever are related to those bacteria that cause Lyme disease.’
- ‘Meningitis can also be a feature of other diseases, including Lyme disease, Leptospirosis, Typhus, Tuberculosis and other infections.’
- ‘Other causes include Lyme disease, HIV, alcoholism, B12 deficiency, or diabetes.’
- ‘If a person develops the arthritis of late-stage Lyme disease, the symptoms are usually treated with oral antibiotics.’
- ‘Some ticks transmit bacteria that cause illnesses such as Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever.’
1970s: named after Lyme, a town in Connecticut, US, where an outbreak occurred.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.