Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An elastic polyurethane fiber or fabric used especially for close-fitting sports clothing.
- ‘‘I was a random tattooed thug with short hair and Lycra trousers and wrestling pads,’ he says.’
- ‘Wearing anything from period costume to Lycra leggings, the teams also have to perform tasks such as scoffing a piece of cake or bobbing an apple at various points.’
- ‘I am not the kind of bicyclist who gets into black Lycra shorts and shirts which look as if they are sponsored by 10 different suppliers of drugs to the Tour de France.’
- ‘PVC, fishnet, Lycra and velvet were worked into corsets, coats and masks.’
- ‘Men fight in a loin cloth, the ‘mawashi’, and although women also wear one, it is usually over a leotard and Lycra shorts.’
- ‘But adding Lycra can make the fabric less stable, requiring more maintenance by the consumer.’
- ‘This is an era of bikini swimsuits, Lycra sportswear, revealing underwear and lingerie ads in mainstream newspapers.’
- ‘Solid-color, tie-dye, and lace-trim varieties are all made from soft rayon Lycra.’
- ‘Tiger Woods never plays tournaments in shorts, let alone black denim and Lycra.’
- ‘Linen will be combined with Lycra and many of the benefits that gave denim a boost when first combined with Lycra will soon be a familiar demand from consumers for linen.’
- ‘You'll need a pair of straight leg pants, preferably a wool blend, with fabrics such as cotton, nylon and even some Lycra.’
- ‘The Lycra spandex stretch denim business is good, he adds, and is expected to become a core offering in the United States.’
- ‘If you're going for the fitted top (I said fitted, not tight), opt for a top with Lycra in it, for that added stretch.’
- ‘In the same year, the arrival of the synthetic fibre Lycra paved the way for a more radical look, with fashion designer Rudi Gernreich creating the monokini.’
- ‘The look this year, I am happy to say, is Lycra, and Lycra was invented with Cuban bottoms in mind.’
- ‘My pair of sleek, stylish and always sexy Lycra bike shorts that I was sporting only weeks ago have been traded in for sweatpants and a fleece.’
- ‘To that end, Burlington will be using different yams, such as Lycra spandex, polyester, polyolefin and Tencel, in its new fabrics.’
- ‘If you're not wearing a suit, then pants with wool, gabardine, or wool with Lycra are an excellent option for work.’
- ‘The errant male cyclist, clad in lurid Lycra, sunglasses and helmet, was according to Chris ‘in no mood to wait around’.’
- ‘With 5 per cent added Lycra, the clothing will allow you to manoeuvre more freely.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.