One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the Levites or the tribe of Levi.‘a Levitical priest’
- ‘From early in church history there have been reports, often denied, that Mary was of Levitical stock.’
- ‘The Levitical priesthood was not intended as an end in itself.’
- ‘He wasn't born into the Levitical priesthood which was for the nation of Israel, but came in the priesthood of Melchizedek, the priesthood for all mankind.’
- ‘The Chronicler sees the primary achievement of David and Solomon as the construction of the temple and the establishment of the types of clergy that were active in his day: priests, Levites, Levitical singers, and Levitical gatekeepers.’
- ‘To further protect the many from the few, Moses did not give the Levitical tribes an equal share of the land.’
- ‘What is involved is what Tillard calls an ‘existential priesthood’ as distinct from (but not over against) the cultic, Levitical type.’
- ‘A Levitical priest's work was terminated by death, but now ‘we have a great high priest, who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God’.’
(of rules concerning codes of conduct, temple rituals, etc.) derived from the biblical Book of Leviticus.‘a Levitical edict’
- ‘According to the Levitical purity system, blindness implied, first of all, an exclusion from the political religious system.’
- ‘This perception of blindness in terms of social exclusion appears in some passages of the Israelite literature that presuppose the Levitical health care system.’
- ‘Actually, I stopped eating pork after Dave referred me to the Levitical clean and unclean meats.’
- ‘The Deuteronomic and Levitical codes were prophetically inspired reinterpretations of the Torah by the priestly writers.’
- ‘In the Levitical health care system, for example, some chronic diseases, such as leprosy, attached to the sick person a stigma that required his or her exclusion from the community.’
Mid 16th century: via late Latin from Greek levitikos, from Levi (see Levite), + -al.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.