Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A US military decoration, ranking below the Silver Star and above the Distinguished Flying Cross, awarded for exceptional performance of services to the US.
- ‘Gordon was awarded the Legion of Merit for his leadership there.’
- ‘Powell received two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star, a Soldier's Medal and the Legion of Merit.’
- ‘His decorations included the U.S. Legion of Merit, as well as several British and French awards for gallantry.’
- ‘Along the way, he earned the Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross and 16 Air Medals.’
- ‘The Americans awarded him the Legion of Merit, Degree of Commander.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.