One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The supper eaten by Jesus and his disciples on the night before the Crucifixion, as recorded in the New Testament and commemorated by Christians in the Eucharist.
- ‘It was the promise that Jesus had made to them on the night of the Last Supper - the promise of the Holy Spirit's coming to them to help and comfort them in His absence.’
- ‘He was also beside Jesus at the Last Supper on the night before Jesus died.’
- ‘Attributed to Jesus at the Last Supper, these words are quoted in virtually every Eucharistic prayer known.’
- ‘Jesus and his disciples did this in the Last Supper.’
- ‘The critical event was his Last Supper with his disciples.’
- ‘At the Last Supper, Jesus presents himself as the meal's meat, bringing an end to fleshly sacrifice.’
- ‘Holy Thursday commemorates the Last Supper, which was held the evening before the Crucifixion.’
- ‘It was said to be the bowl from which Christ and his disciples ate at the Last Supper or, in some versions, the cup from which they drank the wine.’
- ‘We had just done a Bible study on the Last Supper and we were discussing Communion.’
- ‘The Eucharist represents the Last Supper, the final meal that Jesus shared with His disciples.’
- ‘It is no coincidence that this is the dramatic ritual that Jesus and the disciples were enacting at the Last Supper.’
- ‘This humbling gesture recalls the actions of Jesus at the Last Supper when he washed his disciples' feet.’
- ‘I mean it's an obviously Christian story, it is about the grail, the chalice that Jesus drank from at the Last Supper.’
- ‘What did Jesus teach his disciples at the Last Supper?’
- ‘At the Last Supper, Jesus spoke plainly about the tribulations his followers could expect after he was gone.’
- ‘At the Last Supper, Jesus revealed his plan to take over the world.’
- ‘This was a reminder of the days when the sovereign washed the feet of the poor in imitation of Christ washing the feet of His disciples at the Last Supper.’
- ‘Jesus prayed this prayer first of all for the disciples who were at the Last Supper.’
- ‘Even the Last Supper and the death of Jesus point to the depths of Jesus' sacrificial sharing.’
- ‘However, thinking about it, there was probably quite a lot of chuckling that went on at the Last Supper when Jesus washed the disciples' feet.’
- 1.1 An artistic representation based on the Last Supper.
Last Supper/ˌlast ˈsəpər/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.