Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of an Iranian dynasty that invaded the Indian subcontinent and established a powerful empire in the northwest between the 1st and 3rd centuries AD.
- ‘Most believe Rajputs come from tribes in central Asia such as the Parthians, Kushans, Shakas, and Huns.’
- ‘In the Far East, coinage developed in India in the 5th century BC through contacts with Persian coinage by Mauryans and Kushans.’
- ‘But, over the centuries, Persians, Greeks, Parthians, Kushans, and White Huns invaded India.’
- ‘Many conquests later, the Kushans, a nomadic people from China, swept through central Asia and turned south into the Buddhist districts centered on Gandhara, including Udyana (the Swat Valley) where tantric Buddhism had taken root.’
- ‘This journey would turn into an epic passage involving many tense battles against the forces of the government seeking to stop the Kushan from reaching and claiming their ancestral birthright.’
Relating to the Kushan or their dynasty.
- ‘Territorially the empire stretched from the Syrian desert, where Roman pressure was checked, to north-west India where the Kushan and Hephthalite empires, having restricted valuable trade routes, were eventually destroyed.’
- ‘The jewellery of the Kushan and Mauryan periods shows distinct Greek touches.’
- ‘Sanghol, is a multi-period site with evidence of late Harappan Bara culture and Sunga, Kushan, Gupta and Medieval periods.’
- ‘Remains of Mauryan, Kushan, and Gupta periods have also been found.’
- ‘During the time of Kaniska, the Kushan king in fourth century AD, Gandhara became a Buddhist country.’
From Prakrit kuṣāṇa (adjective), from Iranian.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.