One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Indic language that is the main language of Goa and adjacent parts of Maharashtra.Also called Goan
- ‘It is a pleasant amalgam of Persian, Arabic, Marathi, and Hindustani with Konkani as its base.’
- ‘When we tell them why, they nod good-naturedly and talk to the rest, and laugh gently at Katherine's weak attempts at Konkani.’
- ‘He had steeled himself for a conversation in English and was delighted when I broke into Portuguese and Konkani.’
- ‘Knowledge of Portuguese was made compulsory and the language of the people, Konkani, was banned from the school curriculum.’
- ‘Growing up on the West Coast, Shivarama Karanth most likely heard, and spoke, as much Tulu and Konkani as he did Kannada.’
Relating to Konkani.
- ‘Would one coin a decipherable Konkani equivalent for a medical term as simple as sinusitis?’
- ‘The first Konkani book to be translated into English, The Upheaval deals with the collapse of an agrarian society that lived by myths and unspoken rules.’
- ‘The award is being given every year to four Konkani speaking people who have made a name for themselves in their fields of activity.’
- ‘He has translated a few Konkani works into Malayalam.’
- ‘It also has in its list the first Konkani novel to be translated into English: The Upheaval by Pundalik N. Naik (translated by Vidya Pai).’
From Marathi and Hindi koṅkaṇī, from Sanskrit koṅkaṇa ‘Konkan’ (a coastal region of western India).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.