Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the Jewish calendar) the third month of the civil and ninth of the religious year, usually coinciding with parts of November and December.
- ‘The Maccabees then purify the Temple and rededicate it on the 25th of Kislev, which is the date on the Hebrew calendar when we begin to celebrate the eight days of Chanukah.’
- ‘The festival begins on the 25th day of Kislev and is celebrated for eight days.’
- ‘Torah has taught that the central concept of the month of Kislev is the illumination of darkness.’
- ‘The spirituality of the month of Kislev is the spirituality of inner illumination.’
- ‘On the 25th day of the ninth month (Kislew) they rose early in the morning and performed the first morning sacrifice that had been offered in three years.’
From Hebrew kislēw.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.