Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of an indigenous people of eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand.
- ‘Most Burmese Baptists are members of the major tribal groups, including the Karens and the Chins.’
- ‘The Karens are the second-largest ethnic group in Myanmar, forming 6.3% of Myanmar's total population, according to official figures.’
- ‘Nearly 100,000 members of ethnic minority groups in Myanmar, mostly Karens, have fled to Thailand to escape the fighting in their country.’
- ‘More than 100 Karens fled into Thailand on Friday after a clash between ruling junta troops and ethnic minority guerrillas in neighboring Myanmar, according to a Thai military official.’
- ‘Christabelle Naw, 14, is from one of Burma's ethnic tribes called the Karens.’
- ‘Perhaps 3 million Burmese, mostly Karens, Kachins, Chins, and Lisu, are Christians who accept animistic rituals like the Burmans, who are mostly Theravada Buddhists.’
- ‘Another important region for the Karens is the eastern border with Thailand.’
- ‘The same would apply, for instance, to the Tamils of Sri Lanka, the Karens of Burma, the people of Aceh in Indonesia and the Muslims of the Southern Philippines.’
- ‘The study reveals that Indonesians might have been the first inhabitants of Burma followed by Pyus, Karens, Chins and Rakhines.’
- ‘The displaced people have taken refuge in the two camps since 1998, the officials said, adding most of them are Karens who fled fighting in Myanmar.’
2The language of the Karen, probably Sino-Tibetan.
- ‘Karen is a language cluster spoken in lower Myanmar, and in areas bordering Thailand’
- ‘Other than Karen and Bai, Tibeto-Burman languages feature a Subject Object Verb order.’
Relating to the Karen or their language.
- ‘Most famously, the Htoo twins, pre-teen mystic leaders of a Karen group called God's Army, grabbed headlines in 2000 as the most unlikely of guerrilla generals.’
- ‘And on Monday a group of 10 men belonging to God's Army, a Karen minority rebel group, broke into a hospital in the province.’
- ‘Within Burma, the Karen people live spread across from Irrawaddy, Pegu and Rangoon, down to the Tenasserim Divisions.’
- ‘On reading this Karen story of a giantess, I was struck by how similar it is in structure and function to certain Korean tales which I have read.’
- ‘The camp, accounting for 16 acres, is temporary shelter to 8,200 refugees who belong to a Karen minority who have been fighting with the Myanmar government for a homeland for decades.’
From Arakanese (a language of Burma) karang.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.