A type of rifle or submachine gun made in Russia, especially the AK-47 assault rifle.
- ‘Piles of bullets, Beretta handguns and Kalashnikovs are laid out carefully next to ornamental knives and silver jewellery.’
- ‘Several Kalashnikov assault rifles were found at the scene.’
- ‘Security forces found three hand guns and a Kalashnikov rifle in the possession of some of the suspects.’
- ‘I tried to put my money in my bag, but a young police officer thrust his Kalashnikov at me and rifled through my bag.’
- ‘They have machineguns, Kalashnikovs, you name it.’
1970s: named after Mikhail T. Kalashnikov (1919–2013), the Russian designer of the weapons.