One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The monotheistic religion of the Jews.
For its origins Judaism looks to the biblical covenant made by God with Abraham, and to the laws revealed to Moses and recorded in the Torah (supplemented by the rabbinical Talmud), which established the Jewish people's special relationship with God. Since the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in AD 70, the rituals of Judaism have centered on the home and the synagogue, the chief day of worship being the Sabbath (sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday), and the annual observances including Yom Kippur and Passover
- ‘It was a bit strange that the very person who was bringing them closer to Judaism wasn't Jewish.’
- ‘I went on a trip to Israel to learn more about Judaism from an adult perspective.’
- ‘In Judaism, Shabbat represents our opportunity to enjoy all the classes of pleasure in one day.’
- ‘Traditional values that Judaism shares with other religions are also at play.’
- ‘Some religions such as Judaism and Christianity are based on a creation story where time begins in the act of creation.’
- ‘Israel is inseparable from Judaism, the religious beliefs and heritage of its people.’
- ‘The interviewee began to study with a rabbi and to consider conversion to Judaism.’
- ‘She felt the girls needed some sort of religious upbringing and Judaism seemed to be the most sensible to her.’
- ‘Morrie was so unmistakably Jewish and yet so far removed from Judaism; so close and yet so far.’
- ‘She tried to build our core Jewish values by informing herself about Judaism.’
- ‘Someone who isn't born a Jew can convert to Judaism, but it is not easy to do so.’
- ‘Although I felt drawn to the drama and the mystery of Judaism, other aspects pushed me away.’
- ‘Islam, Christianity and Judaism are the predominant religions in Tunisia.’
- ‘So that is part of my cultural heritage, but I never practised Judaism as a religious way.’
- ‘For me, it is a statement to myself and to others of my commitment to Judaism and the Jewish people.’
- ‘Historic Judaism was a command religion with laws covering every detail of life.’
- ‘It has already been proven that much can be done to reconnect Jews on campus to Judaism.’
- ‘Sacrifices were part and parcel of ancient religion, including Judaism.’
- ‘So, I started searching for the truth about Judaism and where I belonged in my religion.’
- ‘Also, after about two years of learning about Judaism I decided to study to become a Jew.’
- 1.1 The Jews collectively.
From late Latin Judaismus, from Greek Ioudaïsmos, from Ioudaios (see Jew).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.