One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A song, refrain, or cadence sung in time to marching.
- ‘Gone, too, are the Jody calls, cadences in which a back-home character named Jody was ruining a soldier's life.’
- ‘I marched to those old Jody calls while serving my country and they didn't offend me and nobody around me was offended either.’
- ‘The military also objected to the rhyming boot camp chants, or ‘Jody calls’, by the jogging soldiers in the film.’
- ‘Many students have xeroxed booklets of Jody calls and brought them in, thrilled to have perplexed their fellow workers.’
- ‘As they get closer to the main base, the Jody calls get louder until they reach the Parade Deck.’
- ‘But still, a doughboy with a W.W.I Jody call is hard to imagine.’
- ‘There are many different Jody calls and it would be impossible to identify the ‘latest’ cadence as these are being made up all the time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.