One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An autumn-flowering anemone with large pink or white flowers. It is native to China and naturalized in Japan, and several cultivars have been developed.
- ‘The hybrid Japanese anemone is one of my favourite late-summer flowers and one we could do with more of since it produces masses of white or pink flowers with yellow centres.’
- ‘Growing with the linaria is a pink Japanese anemone, also self-seeded or perhaps mistakenly imported with another plant.’
- ‘Further on in the season, pink Japanese anemones will colonise an area that suits them, ie. somewhere sunny but moist.’
- ‘Snow-white peonies come into bloom in May, and pale daylilies, white liatris, and white Japanese anemones take turns through the summer and fall.’
- ‘It is known botanically as Anemone x hybrida and, despite being called the Japanese anemone, they actually originate from China.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.