One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Rastafarian name of God.
- ‘For Jah to be God, God cannot be a culturally specific desert god from the near east.’
- ‘The 32-year-old Jamaican-born gangster had grown dreadlocks and believed he had the Rastafarian God Jah on his side.’
- ‘The Sun is represented by the Lion Head of Jah shining over the island.’
- ‘I know somebody already mentioned Jah, which is the Rasta name for God - smoking the Ganjah gets you in touch with him and with your deeper self.’
- ‘Its tone is set at the film's very spiritual start: Rastafarian elders are playing hand drums in a ramshackle hut in the Jamaican countryside, smoking ganja and praising their god Jah.’
Representing Hebrew Yāh, abbreviation of Yahweh. The current use was popularized in the mid 20th century.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.