Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of the ancient Hebrew nation, especially in the period from the Exodus to the Babylonian Captivity (c.12th to 6th centuries BC)
- ‘In what part of Egypt did the Israelites dwell before the Exodus?’
- ‘It was once thought that the ancient Israelites must have been predominantly left-handed because Hebrew is written from right to left.’
- ‘The Temple of the ancient Israelites is the original Hebrew expression of pagan consciousness.’
- ‘Israel's sacred books provide the prevailing cultural intertext for Israelites in the period.’
- ‘Joshua and the Israelites had made an impressive beginning of their conquest of Canaan.’
- ‘Why were the prayers, sacrifices and observances of these ancient Israelites not pleasing to God?’
- ‘The book of Leviticus contains a number of food laws that the ancient Israelites were to obey.’
- ‘Ezekiel runs into the Israelites ' expectation that God is, and always will be, a God of retribution.’
- ‘Not only did Pharoah refuse to let the enslaved Israelites go, he made life even more difficult for them.’
- ‘The end came when the Israelites were battling the Philistines at Aphek.’
- ‘For centuries, the Israelites believed that their faith in God rested in the land, the king and the temple.’
- ‘I begin to see why the Israelites wandered for 40 years after refusing to take the Promised Land.’
- ‘One way in which to analyze biblical narrative is by examining the ways in which the ancient Israelites perceived and used space.’
- ‘Elijah told the Israelites that Yahweh would bring drought to the land if they continued worshipping Baal.’
- ‘The Torah recounts how in the second year after the Exodus, the Israelites arrived at the borders of the Promised Land.’
- ‘The Hebrew Bible written by the ancient Israelites, was adopted by the Early Christians.’
- ‘So the Egyptians made slaves of the Israelites (also called Hebrews).’
- ‘The Sabbath, which totally set apart the Israelites from the nations around them, also entailed responsibility.’
- ‘The Lord instituted Passover at the time of the Israelites ' exodus out of Egypt.’
- ‘Unlike their exodus over four centuries later, the Israelites ' entry into Egypt was under very favorable circumstances.’
- 1.1old-fashioned and sometimes offensive term for Jew
Relating to the Israelites.
- ‘Emphasis was usually on Israel and Israelite society, although later generations would apply it to the known human world.’
- ‘Well, we might say, it is not surprising that Israelite culture would celebrate resistance to foreign potentates.’
- ‘He continues his sermon noting how unaccustomed we are, even as Christians, to the authentic language of discernment this Israelite king represents.’
- ‘Could this be the first hint that even Joshua is not completely confident that adherence to God's Torah is itself sufficient guarantee of Israelite success?’
- ‘Donald Senior stated it nicely in his article ‘Between Two Worlds: Gentile and Israelite Christians in Matthew's Gospel.’’
- ‘The Pharisees' holiness approach protected Israelite culture from assimilation into the dominant Greco-Roman culture.’
- ‘Doxologies were an integral part of Israelite worship and that of the early church, appearing frequently in psalms and hymns.’
- ‘In sum, Israelite society was family oriented.’
- ‘So that the angel would know which houses were Israelite homes, the Children of Israel were to follow very specific instructions.’
- ‘In spite of these positive references, the traditional attitude towards physicians in Israelite society was one of distrust.’
- ‘God and the people of Israel generally accepted non-hostile aliens in their land, provided that they conducted themselves according to Israelite religion and law.’
- ‘What is the role of sacrifice in Israelite religion?’
- ‘The same can be said of Israelite tradition.’
- ‘A point that may draw fire from biblical scholars is Berrigan's linear-developmental understanding of Israelite religion.’
- ‘By the time of King David however, the city came fully under Israelite control.’
- ‘Zechariah spoke in a world dominated by traditional Israelite enemies.’
- ‘Chronicles records the institution of this music as an integral part of Israelite worship.’
- ‘Hellenistic women in fact could do so, and there were even some situations in which Israelite women in Palestine asked for a divorce.’
- ‘On his shoulders were two onyx stones, each engraved with the names of six Israelite tribes.’
- ‘It would seem that Josiah embraced Israelite religion as a bulwark of his kingdom.’
Late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek Israēlitēs.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.