An order of insects that comprises the termites.
- ‘Treeswifts hunt opportunistically and frequently feed on Isoptera and Coleoptera (beetles).’
- ‘In Isoptera and Hymenoptera, such as ants, eusocial bees, and wasps, individuals permanently forego their own reproduction for helping others.’
- ‘Insects in the order Isoptera, are better known for eating timber than for being eaten themselves.’
- ‘Sociality has evolved multiple times, most notably in the Hymenoptera and Isoptera.’
- ‘Isoptera are believed to have evolved from wood-eating Blattaria.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek isos equal + pteron wing.