Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Insulin shock therapy.
A follower of a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy, typically a political ideology or an artistic movement.‘you can't be born an ist’
- ‘In our time, determinists, evolutionists, and other ists all like to suggest there is no such thing.’
- ‘Their response to legitimate questioning is name-calling, personal abuse, and invoking the bogeyman of the various isms and ists that seem to inhabit their hysterical world.’
- ‘Quite simply, they are regarded as "ists" of the Latin American, Caribbean, African, or Asian variety.’
- ‘Send some invitations to Libertarians, left-wingers, socialists, centrists, whatever ians and ists there are.’
- ‘This study involves biologists, economists, physicists, ecologists, sociologists, and other ists, all concerned with what happens when autonomous agents interact.’
- ‘You see, those barbarians don't deserve the stature granted them by being thought of as ists who believe in an ism.’
- ‘The campaign was led by the failed alcohol-prohibitionist, who was also a racist—perhaps the two ists go hand in hand.’
- ‘What appears to critics as a homogeneous group of traditionalists, fundamentalists, and a host of other pejorative ists, were in fact disparate groups with divergent tendencies.’
- ‘The adoption of isms and adherance to ists stunts development of free cognitive association, an essential and distinguishing attribute of creativity.’
- ‘So long as the worst thing an ist does is to leave someone alone, there is no moral justification for using force against him.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.