Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A people of mixed Semitic and Asian descent who invaded Egypt and settled in the Nile delta c.1640 BC. They formed the 15th and 16th dynasties of Egypt and ruled a large part of the country until driven out c.1532 BC.
- ‘The Egyptians under the Hyksos pharaohs invaded the Near East, and then came to Greece.’
- ‘There's good evidence that by the time of the Hyksos, a large part of Egyptian culture was lost to the Egypt of the day.’
- ‘During the 13 th Dynasty, there was a surplus of Hyksos.’
- ‘The Hyksos weren't content with Pharaoh's welcome and great generosity - they wanted all the fertile lands.’
- ‘That was after Ahmose, a Theban ruler, defeated the Hyksos, who controlled the Lower Egypt.’
- ‘In 1575 B.C., a Thebian dynasty drove out the Hyksos and reunited the kingdom.’
- ‘After the Bronze Age, Amorites, Western Semites, Hyksos and Hittites successively invaded the area.’
- ‘From around 1700 bc a much lighter chariot drawn by only two animals was developed, with which the Hyksos conquered Egypt.’
- ‘They command you take the Hyksos chief's daughter as your wife.’
- ‘This Second Intermediate Period saw the Hyksos, Semitic invaders from Palestine, come and overtake the Egyptian ruling class.’
- ‘I think the situation you are thinking of may have occurred in isolated instances later on, such as the Hyksos people's momentary control of the Nile region.’
- ‘According to Manetho, he was the last king to rule before the Hyksos occupied Egypt ‘without a battle.’’
From Greek Huksōs (interpreted by Manetho as shepherd kings or captive shepherds), from Egyptian heqa khoswe foreign rulers.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.