Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lower house of the colonial Virginia legislature.
- ‘Its House of Assembly, which began meeting in 1639, is the third-oldest legislative body in the Western Hemisphere, preceded only by Bermuda's legislature and the Virginia House of Burgesses.’
- ‘Patrick Henry won a seat to Virginia's House of Burgesses in 1765, the same year that Britain levied the Stamp Tax on her colonies.’
- ‘Not until 1631 did the House of Burgesses create marriage licenses.’
- ‘From 1759 to the outbreak of the American Revolution, Washington managed his lands around Mount Vernon and served in the Virginia House of Burgesses.’
- ‘A greater reverence was held for George Washington, who had many ties to Alexandria and represented it in the Virginia House of Burgesses before the Revolution.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.