Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘it wouldn't interest you, hon’short for honey (as a form of address)
- ‘‘'We're only about twenty minutes away, hon,’ Uncle Sam said to Noella when she stretched in her seat.’
- ‘Memo to Angie: Why are you holding back, hon?’
- ‘When Aunt Jean said, ‘Go ahead, hon,’ she tore into the present like a dog into meat.’
- ‘We won't wait forever to have that done, will we, hon?’
- ‘She laughed and, looking over at Brian, said, ‘Have a good time, hon.’’
- ‘‘You just keep on trying to convince yourself of that, hon,’ came Lisa's voice from the front door.’
- ‘Forget being skinny; put on a bit of weight, hon.’
- ‘The world does not revolve around you, hon, despite what you think.’
- ‘Hmm… I'm thinking about the chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream, what do you think hon?’
- ‘‘Don't forget, hon, you aren't King here,’ I said cheerfully.’
- ‘I'd also love to meet this boyfriend of yours, hon.’
- ‘Avery pretended to think for a moment, ‘You know, hon, I don't think I remember making that deal.’’
- ‘‘Time to go, hon,’ Mattie's voice was quiet and coaxing - the same tone most people use with small children.’
- ‘He's working in the barn right now, hon, but I can have him call you right back.’
- ‘‘Bye hon,’ she said as she turned and walked up to her pew.’
- ‘And as we got off the phone I said, ‘I love you, Dad,’ and he said, ‘I love you too, hon.’’
- ‘‘I don't know what's going to happen, either, hon,’ she stroked Nile's head.’
- ‘She took a few steps toward the door and twirled around to say, ‘See you around, hon!’’
- ‘This is what comedy is, hon, making fun of other people; it's the responsibility of people in a comedy to fire back.’
- ‘This is invasive surgery… and it's not a walk in the park, hon.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.