One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) the Secretary of State in charge of the Home Office.
- ‘The decision of the Home Secretary was based on the fact that some crimes are so heinous as to justify life imprisonment.’
- ‘The policy adopted by the Home Secretary is as set out in those documents.’
- ‘The Home Secretary began asking about an application by Kliminowicz for political asylum.’
- ‘But what is the reaction of our Home Secretary to these tricky questions about free speech?’
- ‘But the legislation does not allow the Home Secretary to make a British citizen stateless.’
- ‘The Home Secretary and the Government say it will cost the taxpayers less by doing this.’
- ‘He is close to the Foreign Secretary and former Home Secretary, Jack Straw.’
- ‘I think the Home Secretary wants to hang on to his executive powers and not give them up to judges.’
- ‘The weight of evidence against the Home Secretary now makes it seem unlikely that he can continue to hold on to his Cabinet post.’
- ‘The Home Secretary bragged to the Labour Party conference this week that we now have more police than ever before.’
- ‘The applicant was a Sikh activist whom the Home Secretary had ordered to be deported to India.’
- ‘It was not policy to reveal the whereabouts of the Home Secretary for security reasons.’
- ‘The Home Secretary seems to have genuinely missed the point of civil liberties.’
- ‘But now the Home Secretary has told him to leave the country in 28 days or risk deportation.’
- ‘She tackled the unions, but appointed a series of ineffectual liberal Home Secretaries to tackle crime, and they failed.’
- ‘On that basis, it has been agreed that the Home Secretary will refer the case back to the Parole Board for a fresh review.’
- ‘The Liberal Democrat MEP is calling on the Home Secretary to clarify the situation.’
- ‘He reported favourably to the new Home Secretary but it was too late.’
- ‘The Home Secretary has confirmed that the law on corporate manslaughter will, at long last, be changed.’
- ‘The judge said he would recommend to the Home Secretary that all three be deported after serving their sentences.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.