Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people inhabiting Panay, Negros, and other islands in the central Philippines.
- ‘Hence Sarangani's population today is largely a mix of migrant Hiligaynons, Cebuanos, Ilocanos, Tagalogs and Muslims.’
- ‘Many of its inhabitants are migrants from the Visayas such as Warays and Hiligaynons.’
- ‘The sword is mentioned in ancient Filipino epics, e. g., Hinilawod of the Hiligaynons.’
- ‘Visayas, especially Hiligaynons, now comprise the majority of people living within the province.’
- ‘These are also part of our cultural heritage as Hiligaynons like the churches, old houses, old establishments, cemetery capillas, historical sites, etc.’
- ‘Other cultural groups present in the municipality are the Hiligaynons, Warays, Bagobos, Butuanos, Tibolis and Manobos.’
- ‘The Hiligaynons are the next major group and occupy parts of the Western Visayas.’
- ‘The Tagalogs, Bicolanos, Boholanos, Siquijodnons, Cebuanos, Davaoenos, Hiligaynons, etc, have added more color to the already rich cultural diversity of the place.’
- ‘The Hiligaynon, like all Filipinos, enjoy watching television and going to the movies.’
2The Austronesian language of the Hiligaynon.
- ‘Other regions of Panay have their own distinct speech forms, but these are mutually intelligible with Hiligaynon.’
- ‘Half of the children were taught completely in English for four grades while other children were taught first for two years in Hiligaynon.’
Relating to the Hiligaynon or their language.
- ‘The Hiligaynon language is the language of Iloilo province, which has come to be spoken throughout the Western Visayas region.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.