One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A subatomic particle whose existence is predicted by the theory which unified the weak and electromagnetic interactions.
- ‘He suggested that the priority for scientists using the ILC would be to better understand the Higgs particle, a theoretical particle which, if it exists, would explain why matter has mass.’
- ‘Some time ago, Professor Stephen Hawking bet 100 that the Higgs particle would never be found.’
- ‘The Higgs boson, if it exists, would help explain why matter has mass.’
- ‘Scientists are also intensifying their hunt for the Higgs boson, a force particle which is thought to account for mass.’
- ‘But there's been a bit of a flurry about the possible discovery of a Higgs.’
1970s: named after Peter W. Higgs (born 1929), English physicist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.