Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small phylum of marine invertebrates that comprises the acorn worms.
- ‘Metamorphosis in the acorn worms (Hemichordata, Enteropneusta) includes retention of the entire larval body, which sheds feeding and propulsory cilia and undergoes definitive shape changes.’
- ‘The superphyla Deuterostomia (e.g., Chordata, Echinodermata, Hemichordata) and Protostomia each appear to have evolved from an ancestor with a coelomic body cavity.’
- ‘Another of Ax's hypotheses concerns the Hemichordata.’
- ‘The superphylum Deuterostomia contains the diverse phyla Chordata and Echinodermata and the minor phyla Hemichordata and Urochordata.’
- ‘Deuterostomia are a major group of metazoans composed of three phyla: Chordata, Hemichordata, and Echinodermata.’
Modern Latin (see hemi-, Chordata).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.