Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The capital of Cuba, on the northern coast; population 2,148,132 (2008). It was founded in 1515 by Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar.Spanish name La Habana
A cigar made in Cuba or from Cuban tobacco.
- ‘We spoke to Browne over whisky and fine Havanas at the Cigar Bar at the Park Hyatt Hotel in The Rocks.’
- ‘He offered me a Havana cigar which, he told me, had been especially rolled with tobacco he had purchased from the estate of the late comedian Ernie Kovacs.’
- ‘The travel humidor's filled with a carefully chosen selection of Havanas.’
- ‘This is the kind of hangout James Bond might buy his Havanas in.’
- ‘I look forward to the day when I can order my Havanas directly from Cuba.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.