Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An autoimmune disease causing chronic inflammation and consequential failure of the thyroid gland.
- ‘In the hypothyroidism of Hashimoto's disease there is autoimmune destruction of thyroid follicular cells, leading to underproduction of the hormones and eventually to thyroid failure.’
- ‘Deborah Doniach was part of a ground-breaking team that showed that Hashimoto's disease of the thyroid was caused by autoimmunity.’
- ‘She was also diagnosed with major depressive disorder, type II diabetes and early stage Hashimoto's disease (a thyroid disorder).’
- ‘She should also rule out an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's disease, which blocks the release of thyroid hormones, and a pituitary gland problem, because both disorders have symptoms that resemble hypothyroidism.’
- ‘In Hashimoto's, antibodies react against proteins in the thyroid gland, causing gradual destruction of the gland itself, and making the gland unable to produce the thyroid hormones the body needs.’
1930s: named after Hakaru Hashimoto (1881–1934), Japanese surgeon.
Hashimoto's disease/ˌhaSHiˈmōdōz diˌzēz/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.