One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A pale-colored langur monkey of southern Asia, venerated by Hindus.
Presbytis entellus, family Cercopithecidae
- ‘This species is also sympatric with hanuman langurs in Bhutan, where the hanuman langurs, Semnopithecus entellus, were able to cross the Sankosh river because of the construction of a bridge.’
- ‘Here we collected fecal samples from troops of toque macaque and hanuman langur when encountered.’
- ‘In fact, standing on the top of Jodhpur's Meherangarh Fort watching hanuman langurs playing over the battlements and vultures spiralling on thermals above the blue-washed houses below pretty well sums up the charms of Rajasthan.’
- ‘The London zoo has/had hanuman langurs, living in an outdoor exhibit with the sloth bears, and previously muntjac and gibbons too.’
- ‘The social system of the hanuman langur varies upon location and can be either unimale or multimale-multifemale.’
A semidivine being of monkeylike form, whose exploits are described in the Ramayana.
From Sanskrit hanumant ‘large-jawed’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.