A minor phylum of minute marine worms that appear to be intermediate between coelenterates and flatworms.
- ‘Also unresolved are the phylogenetic positions of Cycloneuralia, Chaetognatha, Gnathostomulida, Cycliophora, and Micrognathozoa.’
- ‘This is strikingly illustrated if we just consider character choice in two subsequent publications by the same research group, for example, for placing the ‘acoelomate’ worms, Platyhelminthes, Nemertea, and Gnathostomulida.’
- ‘The lower metazoan groups Gastrotricha and Gnathostomulida, but also Onychophora, Annelida, Mollusca, and Enteropneusta would be the most relevant taxa.’
- ‘Two others are probably too specialized and may turn out to be protostomes (and ecdysozoans in particular): the Chaetognatha and Gnathostomulida.’
- ‘This structure was first described by Rieger and Tyler in the jaws of Gnathostomulida and Rotifers.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek gnathos jaw + stoma mouth.