Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of the Guide Association.
- ‘You don't have to be a sports club necessarily, we have had some interest from Girl Guides and Boy Scouts for example, and hopefully there will be some schoolchildren as well.’
- ‘I was barely out of bed the next morning when we had a troupe of Girl Guides turn up to look at the house.’
- ‘I remember, when I was about eleven, I went away for the weekend with the Girl Guides.’
- ‘A group of Girl Guides will hold a reunion for its 80th anniversary.’
- ‘As a young girl she was a Girl Guide and Ranger for years.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.