Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of an Arminian Baptist congregation who rejects the Calvinist doctrine of predestination.Compare with Particular Baptist
- ‘The General Association of General Baptists was organized in 1870, but its roots stretch back to the General Baptists in England.’
- ‘Please return to our General Baptist website for updates on our efforts to aid our brothers and sisters in need!’
- ‘The rift between Particular and General Baptists was not healed until something like two hundred years later.’
- ‘Eulia General Baptist Church was organized in 1875 in an old school house.’
- ‘The General Baptists split into the New Connexion and Old Connexion, and the latter became Unitarians.’
- ‘Quaker beliefs took a strong hold in Radnorshire and most of the early General Baptists in the County became Quakers.’
- ‘As you visit the websites below, General Baptist Ministries reminds you that you will be touring websites featuring content and information not approved by General Baptist Ministries.’
- ‘The General Baptists had adopted the changes that the Dutch theologian Arminius had introduced to Calvinism.’
- ‘Particular Baptists believed that Christ died only for the salvation of a certain number of people, and General Baptists believed that Christ died for the salvation of all.’
- ‘These believers are termed General Baptists because they believed in the unlimited, or general, atonement of all who believe.’
- ‘They and the General Baptists practiced a democratic form of church government.’
- ‘We shall not speak of the doctrinal features, but rather of those who labored so faithfully for what they believed, and the hardships they endured to establish the General Baptist doctrine in West Kentucky.’
- ‘The Galilee Association of General Baptists was organized in 1916 by dividing the Liberty Association.’
- ‘The greatest gains were made by the Particular Baptists, while the General Baptists suffered defections to the Quakers.’
- ‘Please note that my interest in General Baptists is purely historical - engendered by my family research.’
- ‘Richer, established religious groups ridiculed General Baptists for giving women positions of authority.’
- ‘Because of the Arminianism of Wesley's Methodism, the General Baptists lost many members to Methodism and caused considerable angst in many parts of the country.’
- ‘The Shiloh General Baptist Church, located east of Bradford in Gibson County, Tennessee, was established in 1883.’
- ‘The General Baptists also had a distinct belief that Christians could face the possibility of falling from grace.’
- ‘His study of the scriptures soon led him to reject infant baptism, and in 1763 he was baptized at the hands of a General Baptist pastor at Gamston, Nottinghamshire.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.