Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of Generation X (born in the 1960s and 1970s)‘of the 1,000 Gen Xers polled, 68 percent said they owned their homes’Also called Xer
- ‘You don't get the feeling that a Gen Xer's home is a reflection of the woman, but of the couple.’
- ‘It appears that political scandal has created political apathy among Gen Xers.’
- ‘It has come to my attention that there is someone I know, someone who is a Gen-Xer like myself, who does not have a mobile phone.’
- ‘He delivers a laudably subdued performance as an aging Gen Xer whose gloomy angst is sublimated into sketches and journal entries.’
- ‘While not a Gen Xer - at 50, he's clearly a Boomer - Sterling is intrigued by the way demographics are changing the world.’
- ‘Late Boomers (35 to 44 years old) share Atlanta as their No.1 destination, but other Xer top choices, Denver and Dallas, are further down their list.’
- ‘Just three years ago, educated Gen Xers seemed set to rule the world.’
- ‘As a Gen Xer trying to make a difference in the dairy industry, he started his business in mid-1999 and positioned it with a BST-free/natural product line.’
- ‘Xers consider each job as an opportunity for learning, growth, and career advancement and may leave if they feel they are stagnating.’
- ‘Business can learn from smart risk takers; in turn, Gen Xers can learn from experienced players.’
- ‘Xers also have been the beneficiaries of the low interest rates that have prevailed since the mid-'90s.’
- ‘The teenaged Xer wouldn't have been caught dead hitting the mall with mom; today, mothers and daughters shop together, seemingly with no embarrassment on the younger consumer's part.’
- ‘If the Gen Xer in charge isn't figuring out how to learn the most from both Baby Boomers and Millennials, the business is suffering.’
- ‘Very importantly, Xers have a 'balanced' approach to work, giving equal status to their personal and professional lives.’
- ‘When a Gen-Xer faces involuntary job loss, as with any other age group, it's never easy.’
- ‘The more dramatic impact of Xer maturation will be on the next evolution of children's television.’
- ‘The familiarity and warmth of the Muppets combined with the soothing heartfelt music of the late John Denver will make any Gen Xer feel like a kid again.’
- ‘When the album came out eight years ago, it conveyed a powerful sense of the present; as though a Gen Xer with poetic sensibilities had stumbled into a session with a rapper.’
Gen Xer/ˌjen ˈeksər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.