One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An assessment of public opinion by the questioning of a statistically representative sample.
- ‘The most important result is that the new Gallup poll does look quite a bit different from most, but not all, of their previous polls since November.’
- ‘The typical sample size for a Gallup poll which is designed to represent this general population is 1,000 national adults.’
- ‘A recent Gallup poll found that 75 percent of likely voters support stronger environmental regulation.’
- ‘Here's a table showing a history of Gallup polls taken on Labor Day weekend.’
- ‘This is the direct question that we asked in the Gallup poll.’
1940s: named after George H. Gallup (1901–84), the American statistician who devised the method.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.