One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or influenced by Sigmund Freud and his methods of psychoanalysis, especially with reference to the importance of sexuality in human behavior.
- ‘But I thought foolishly that Freudian psychoanalysis was deeper and more intensive than other, more directive forms of therapy, so I was trained in it and practiced it.’
- ‘Some Freudian psychologists have suggested that risk-taking is linked to neuroticism, a personality trait.’
- ‘After his chess career ended, Fine became an exponent of Freudian psychoanalysis, authoring important works in the field.’
- ‘Increasingly, however, Freudian psychology was influencing how scholars thought about early childhood and the development of sexuality and masculine and feminine characteristics.’
- ‘Mack has embraced traditions from Freudian psychoanalysis to the guided meditation of Werner Erhard.’
- 1.1 Susceptible to analysis in terms of unconscious desires.‘he wasn't sure whether his passion for water power had some deep Freudian significance’
- ‘We find ourselves scribbling in large circles, gradually spiralling inwards into a densely layered doodle of no doubt strong Freudian significance.’
- ‘When I mentioned the story to Bill, he couldn't remember the incident, but added, ‘I'm sure there was some deep-seated Freudian significance.’’
A follower of Freud or his methods.
- ‘For example, Freudians and behaviourists had different methods, but they also had a different agenda.’
- ‘In later years I came to think it was worthless, that it was better to start without Freud and certainly not go through the genuflections that Freudians seem addicted to.’
- ‘Amateur Freudians postulate that Alou stayed because he was afraid to face the heat of the Los Angeles media.’
- ‘Freud is often praised by Freudians for his apparent flexibility; for his willingness to alter his theories as psychoanalysis grew and developed.’
- ‘Even modern Freudians, or psychodynamic theoreticians, seem to be hampered by Freud's outmoded evolutionary speculations, but still the interest for evolutionary explanations exists.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.