One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brass instrument with a coiled tube, valves, and a wide bell, developed from the simple hunting horn in the 17th century. It is played with the right hand in the bell to soften the tone and increase the range of available harmonics.
- ‘Adding some of the mellow power of the French horn to it would be a clear gain.’
- ‘Dad played the saxophone, clarinet, trumpet or cornet, and the French horn.’
- ‘There's much to commend - the composers merit a wider audience; it's hard to imagine better performances; and we hear concertos for French horn, oboe and bassoon rather than overworked violins or pianos.’
- ‘The pleasure and challenge the music presented me all those years ago, has been revived for me, even though I'm on the business end of a baton and not the French horn.’
- ‘Also, sometimes when I'm listening, I get confused between clarinets and bassoons, and between French horns and trombones, so it's good to see the live performance.’
- ‘Symphonic instruments like flutes, French horns, violins, clarinets and trombones would be first choice, Wapenaar says, but any musical instrument is welcome.’
- ‘He has used instruments as varied as the oboe, French horn, mandolin and saxophone in his arrangements.’
- ‘Some orchestras these days perform Handel with French horns, clarinets and other things that Handel never planned for in the original score.’
- ‘Sadly, one night, some vandals broke into a locked storeroom and dented a French horn and broke the mouthpiece off an antique bassoon.’
- ‘At his disposal were 100 musicians, mostly drawn from the Seattle Symphony, including the usual strings but also four harps, an equal number of trumpets and trombones, six tubas and eight French horns.’
- ‘The trumpets were next to the flutes, and the French horns behind the cellos.’
- ‘I want to show you my French horn and my band locker!’
- ‘However, the French horn that is used today was completed in France.’
- ‘But they stipulated that there were to be no drums or even electronic simulations of drums, and no trumpets, although French horns, soprano saxes and electric violins were perfectly okay.’
- ‘She had minimal skills on the oboe, French horn, guitar, viola, mandolin, and penny whistle.’
- ‘Webern takes advantage of color ambiguities between instruments - the fact that a trumpet in certain cases can sound like a French horn or an oboe, for example.’
- ‘Eleven year old Robert Magowan of St Joseph's, who plays the French horn, has been nominated by the Southern Board's Music Department's staff for the Anita Curry Cup.’
- ‘The 17-year-old from York started playing the piano when he was five and the French horn when he was eight.’
- ‘The Opera Ensemble, arranged and conducted by Byron Olson, is comprised of a variety of woodwinds, a French horn, voice, accordion, bass, and drums.’
- ‘My teacher also encouraged me to take up a second instrument, the French horn.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.