One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A genetically modified fish.
- ‘Be it a flick about a killer Python, or Boa, or a Boa vs. Python, or a Frankenfish, or giant Komodo dragons, sharks, and dinosaurs, the resulting creature is always a joke.’
- ‘That project raises outraged cries from commercial fishermen, who believe the larger Frankenfish will decimate wild species of salmon with their precious genetic inheritance, which has evolved over millennia.’
- ‘Against this Frankenfish background, even the most experimental fish farm in Britain looks relatively benign.’
- ‘If even a few of these Frankenfish escape, the damage could be extensive.’
- ‘Detractors call them Frankenfish and warn they could permanently tilt the balance of nature.’
2The northern snakehead, so dubbed for its voracious appetite and ability to survive adverse conditions.
- ‘Also known as Frankenfish, this invasive species is a voracious predator that eats almost anything, so its possible spread has biologists worried.’
- ‘Nicknamed the Frankenfish, the snakehead is capable of breathing air, slithering over land, and surviving three days outside the water, magnifying its ability to move from one habitat to another.’
- ‘Right now, nobody knows how to rid the Potomac of Frankenfish, but bass anglers are eager to do anything and everything they can to help.’
From Franken(stein) and fish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.