Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hard durable plastic laminate used for countertops, cupboard doors, and other surfaces.
- ‘To fill these unique homes, unique furnishings were needed and aiding designers of the time was a host of new materials to work with: plastic, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, PVC and Formica.’
- ‘On the other side of the room, four wall pieces were made of multicolored Formica mounted on board.’
- ‘Most people in the United States and Canada are familiar with laminate counter tops, such as Formica.’
- ‘With layers of paint applied to Formica over plywood, the surface has become matte black with the exception of one long, shiny black stripe that streaks down the middle of the work.’
- ‘Solid-surface counter tops have replaced Formica, and plastic partitions have replaced the rusted metal.’
1920s: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.