One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The plants of a particular region, habitat, or geological period.‘the desert flora give way to oak woodlands’Compare with fauna‘the river's flora and fauna have been inventoried and protected’
- ‘The first was the incumbent wetland flora with origins in the early Carboniferous.’
- ‘Lichens thus dominate the Antarctic flora both in terms of species diversity and in terms of total biomass.’
- ‘And how are these books documenting the flora actually used by people?’
- ‘Guidelines on how climbers can help protect flora and fauna have been published.’
- ‘There is also a large number of highly varied indigenous flora species that are characteristic of low-altitude tropical forests.’
- ‘Taking up water conservation works will make a fundamental contribution to protecting the flora and fauna in the forest areas.’
- ‘The park's current flora is analyzed by habitat and four plant communities are described and discussed.’
- ‘If we think of flora of the fells at all it is often to appreciate their beauty.’
- ‘Wildlife cinematographers and researchers camp out in these houses to study flora and fauna.’
- ‘They indicated that Big Savannah was completely treeless and supported an unusually dense and rich herbaceous flora.’
- ‘Further evidence of its interest and national importance comes from its role as a refuge for wetland flora.’
- ‘By altering fauna, aboriginal peoples might indirectly have affected the flora of many regions as well.’
- ‘The flora of this region is diverse and complex.’
- ‘Also, some plant species may be over-represented in the fossil flora, because they grew on the lake margin.’
- ‘Bombs, mines, and other war material also contaminated land and water and damaged flora and fauna.’
- ‘Admire the postcard views of city skyscrapers and the native Western Australian flora in the botanic gardens.’
- ‘He is particularly interested in studying the flora and fauna of the regions they plan to pass through.’
- ‘One key aspect of the project was a rapid ecological evaluation of the park's flora and fauna.’
- ‘The 10-minute show was a window to nature conservation and the need for protecting wild flora and fauna.’
- ‘Planting your garden with the flora of the region can also link it to the vista.’
- 1.1 A treatise on or list of the plant life of a particular region or period.
- ‘Modern technology has brought further developments, and the garden's website offers a chance to see the library catalogue online along with a number of floras and monographs (detailed descriptions of plants and plant groups).’
- ‘The projects to create electronic floras and faunas complement other major international initiatives designed to better understand and manage the world's natural heritage.’
- ‘However, most recent floras recognize this as a variable species but no longer consider the varieties worthy of taxonomic recognition.’
- ‘A cross referencing of nomenclature with pertinent floras is included.’
- ‘Together, such understanding will link across biological fields to explain patterns of genome size variation in development, floras, ecological niches and evolution.’
- ‘We then compared this list to published floras in each borough, and our own research in New York City to compile the final list used in this research.’
- ‘It will be an essential reference for those working on Eocene and Tertiary floras, and is a sobering reminder to those of us who work on modern woods how difficult fossil woods are to prepare and identify.’
- ‘Major floras typically require the integration of information resources that, when in paper form, would exist in many separate volumes of a collection.’
- ‘The confidence interval lengths are too short to the extent that the compositional differences between these two floras reflect original heterogeneity and not extinction or emigration.’
- ‘Can the babble of field guides, floras, faunas, ID keys, and monographs be coordinated (or, at least, networked)?’
Late 18th century: from Latin flos, flor- ‘flower’.
proper nounRoman Mythology
The goddess of flowering plants.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.