Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pattern of bricks in a wall in which each course consists of alternate headers and stretchers.→ bond
- ‘A Flemish bond is created by courses of alternating stretchers and headers, with every header centered over a stretcher above and below.’
- ‘The brickwork is laid in Flemish bond with a molded brick water table.’
- ‘The original five-bay facade is two-and-a-half stories high and faced with glazed header bricks laid in a Flemish bond.’
- ‘The brickwork is all of one color and laid in Flemish bond.’
- ‘The capacious structure is brick, in Flemish bond, with a three-stage wooden tower.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.