Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Spend time using the social networking website Facebook.‘If the boss knew how much time you spent shopping online or Facebooking, do you think he or she would be happy?’
- ‘So in the meantime I will keep Tweeting and Facebooking and Skyping and hope one day to feel connections that are real and true.’
- ‘Are you twittering and facebooking?’
- ‘And I've just been hanging out in the house blogging, facebooking, emailing, texting, reading, chatting on my cell, taking pictures, and playing with the baby kittens.’
- ‘They haven't Facebooked.’
- ‘Right now, Serena and I are watching a Christmas movie, while blogging, facebooking, emailing.’
- ‘The day started off slow, breaky, facebooking about the announcement (which is awesome).’
- ‘She also blogs and Facebooks, or whatever the verb is.’
- ‘So I had a pretty bludgy night facebooking and such to fill in time.’
- ‘Public sector workers in particular have been warned off Facebooking on the job so they're not seen to be wasting public money.’
- ‘Over the entire festival I was subject to people taking flash photography, giggling, talking loudly, sending and receiving text messages, facebooking and even having a full phone conversation, all of which must have ruined entire performances for those nearby.’
- ‘I was facebooking a lot between chapters also.’
- ‘People are digging and Twittering, and Facebooking, and MySpace-ing.’
- ‘I think it's meant to provoke a reaction to a classroom full of students at Columbia University Facebooking and GMailing and IMing instead of paying attention in class.’
- ‘Between blogging, tweeting, Facebooking and updating a LinkedIn profile, it's a wonder how a business owner has any time to answer e-mails and phone calls, much less run a company.’
- ‘Former members, including some who never made it through training, are contacting each other: phoning, emailing, Facebooking just to talk about Sparky.’
- ‘They're texting, Facebooking, etc etc, but email?’
- 1.1[with object]Contact (someone) via Facebook.‘Jean Facebooked me later’
- ‘Instead me and Al just commented on the whole class via facebooking each other from right next to one another.’
- ‘Most of all, I'm touched by the warm messages of support from the people who've written in, Twittered, and Facebooked me.’
- ‘Did I do something naughty I don't know about and am being Facebooked to death as a result?’
- ‘I think its important to emphasize that you've described a consumer device / application that works great for Twittering your friends, or Facebooking your girlfriend or typing a note to Grandma - but not necessarily a business tool.’
- ‘These people who are Facebooking me are the same people who wrote any of these messages that reference my super-lame jokes.’
- ‘The first person who tweets me or Facebooks me a picture of it in an airport, I'm going to send you a free copy, autographed.’
- ‘Eventually you'll have a pretend online account where you talk to your friends in a cyber world instead of facebooking them instead of talking to them.’
- ‘I was also beginning to wonder if anyone was actually reading my blog, but then my friend Jessica M. Facebooked me and commented that I really needed to post something new.’
- ‘We also texted her, and facebooked her.’
- ‘Here in Athens, GA (college town) it has become the social norm to ask people if you can facebook them.’
- ‘Added to this, a friend from my primary school, who I've not talked to for 18 years, Facebooked me today to arrange a coffee catch up.’
- ‘So, People of Highschool, feel free to continue Facebooking me.’
Early 21st century: from Facebook, the proprietary name of the social networking website.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.