One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ordinary or typical woman.‘the book is a compilation of memorably silly moments in the life of a hapless Everywoman’
- ‘They want to see their saintly everywoman enjoying a chat with a girlfriend, since they derive pleasure from their interactions on the mailing list.’
- ‘She assembles familiar ingredients in a way that satisfies the everywoman while dispiriting the adventurous.’
- ‘As in a good Hitchcock movie, Joanna is our everywoman in a small, safe town.’
- ‘This is much more sophisticated than your average slacker comedy, as it features, for a change, a female protagonist, the ambiguously named everywoman, She.’
- ‘She's an everywoman with her insecurities and self discoveries she makes to empower herself.’
- ‘Lady Liberty, by contrast, is a mythic female approximating a goddess - at one and the same time everywoman and no woman - who has come to embody cardinal virtues of the state.’
- ‘In one work arranged in three registers, 23 small photos of the artist in front of a plain backdrop plot Sherman's metamorphosis from dour everywoman to glamorous, heavily made-up party girl.’
- ‘Like Heidegger's archetype of the human as a being who simply ‘exists,’ with no direction or motivation, Malick's American everymen and everywomen drift from scene to scene, through non-linear plots and rich landscapes.’
- ‘She said her main characters, a zoo-keeper and a clothes maker, represented the urban everywoman rather than the artsy vanguard stereotypically associated with gay lifestyles.’
- ‘Elizabeth, who laughingly calls herself the ‘un-Barbie,’ can and probably will be portrayed as a modern-day everywoman.’
- ‘But just as it may have to shift its ground, there's a feeling that perhaps she has to look for a more singular, less chameleon-like direction rather than the everywoman she's so good at.’
- ‘Lisa is an omnipotent everywoman who handles each challenge with aplomb, spirit, and bouts of tearful anger.’
Early 20th century: on the pattern of Everyman.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.