One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who admires Europe or favors participation in the European Union.
- ‘The academic scene you hang about in is all too Europhile for my taste.’
- ‘The well-known Europhile pledged he would not seek to change the party's sceptical position on the EU.’
- ‘A Rostrevor woman herself, Monica, daughter of Gertie and the late Matt Murphy, is also a Europhile.’
- ‘No Europhile - or for that matter non-Europhile urban articulate sophisticate - could have said it better.’
- ‘If Eva is a cynical and superior Europhile, husband Franklin is smug and Republican, with a Rockwellian view of family life.’
- ‘He also voted against the pro-EU Maastricht treaty, only to transform himself later into a rabid Europhile.’
- ‘Can Europhile claims of peace, harmony, prosperity and the benevolent nature of the EU be proved?’
- ‘The only sense in which Europe has fallen behind is its failure to live up to unrealistic Europhile expectations.’
- ‘His Europhile followers console themselves with the belief Gordon hasn't gone cold on the concept of a single currency.’
- ‘I defy even the most ardent Europhile to defend this.’
- ‘Current political debates notwithstanding, J S Bach, it seems, can be claimed as a Europhile ahead of his time.’
- ‘He could then give up the singing career, and reinvent himself as a stentorian Europhile liberal commentator.’
- ‘He is a keen Europhile, but his anger at how Poland is being treated was clear.’
- ‘This is something of a turnaround for one of the most Europhile countries in the EU.’
- ‘From a committed Europhile, that's honest advice.’
- ‘Even the most ardent Europhile will admit that the above slogan could take some time to catch on.’
- ‘Frankly, a Europhile would have to be demented to take comfort in this graph.’
- ‘This most Europhile of Prime Ministers insists he has secured major concessions in the British interest.’
- ‘He doesn't want a picture of him nibbling on a baguette to overtake the effete image of the Europhile windsurfing.’
- ‘Over the years, the party has seen itself (and has also been seen) as the most Europhile of all the political parties.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.